Thursday, May 26, 2011

Catching Up With Myself

I hate saying this, because it makes me feel so old, but boy, has time flown by! It's already been nearly three months since I hauled my ass over to the Land of the Long White Cloud, also known as Auckland.

So a brief breakdown of the last three months:
- Hauled 124kg of my life to Auckland
- Invaded the apartment and took over like a mutating virus
- Started working part-time at Massey University
- Went on a dolphin & whale tour
- Training to be a 'tai tai'

Not exactly the most fulfilling three months. I do not recommend putting yourself into unemployment.

I've had a few people ask, "So how do you like Auckland?" Hmm. I try to be fairly diplomatic when answering this question (to avoid having feijoas thrown in my face) and say, "It's alright." And that's the truth. It's alright. To put into comparison for the Aussies, it's comparable to Adelaide.

I'm adjusting to not having trams, and have yet to learn to take buses; it proves to be a challenge when you're as directionally retarded as I am. I mean, firstly, you need to know how to get to the bus stop. Then, you need to know which direction to take it in. Then, there's having to know where to stop.

Only now do I realise how spoiled we are in Melbourne; everything you could possibly need is in the city - shopping, diverse range of awesome food, bars and cafes every third shop you walk by, clubs, supermarkets, Coles Express, Myers, David Jones, Big W, Target, Asian groceries, Chinatown! I miss having a Chinatown!

One other thing - almost everything is more expensive, especially groceries except mussels (it's crazy cheap!). I feel a stab in the heart every time I look at the price of cheese,vegetables, milk, etc.

But, Auckland does have it's pros. I've found the Kiwis to be friendlier. The landscape is so much greener and prettier. NZ oysters are way more awesome! Angus Steak House is definitely worth a mention, if you crave a chunk of delicious steak. And well, I'm looking forward to exploring more of the NZ, and not to mention, experience powder snow!

So yeah, it's alright.  =)

2 comments:

Jeremy Kid said...

At last an update! That took a little while! Must have been enjoying your tai tai life huh.

Well, Auckland sounds good. I shld pay a visit!

Alysia S. said...

haha no, it's just that i really didn't have all that much exciting to say without being all disgustingly mushy. =p

and yes, come for a visit. we'll go brunch. hahaha.